Sunday, March 10, 2019

Infographic




Based on Meg Wilson's presentation to our Universal Design for Learning class and the resources from Apple that she shared, I created an infographic highlighting key features of apps that come pre-programmed into any iPad.  These apps are useful for any Apple user, but they can make the lives of people with disabilities much easier and make technology and learning much more accessible.  

As a music teacher, I have used GarageBand on numerous occasions.  I know that the app has many simple ways for any user to create music, but I wasn't aware of all of the other possibilities that GarageBand could provide to people with disabilities!  The  resources that Meg shared highlighted various uses for the app, including  how some people use it for speech therapy and even to show deaf people a sound wave so they can know how loud a file is!  These are uses that I would never think of because they are based on skills that I use daily and take for granted.  As Meg mentioned in our presentation, technology is most successful when it serves everyone, and these free apps from Apple can help so many people in so many ways.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tyler!

    I hope this posts. First off, this looks great! If you do not mind, could you email me and provide me steps on how you placed your blogger account on here? I created mine as another tab for you guys to comment. Thank you for providing more detailed information on GarageBand and how you access it in your teaching. I never paid this app any mind and feel as if I can now use it more appropriately and also share this with our schools music teacher and my classroom speech therapist. I find it important as we are exposed to more resources throughout our courses to share them with others that I work with. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tyler,
    I am not able to see the picture that you posted here, but I enjoyed reading your post. The ideas that Meg shared about GarageBand were things that I never realized either! I had never used GarageBand until a class with Dr. Penny last semester. When I played around with it, I was able to record my own podcast and try out some different instruments. I can only imagine what other potential the program has for students with disabilities. Here is an article that gives some more information about using the program with special needs students: https://ask.audio/articles/special-needs-music-classroom-garageband-ipad-smart-strings (specifically the Smart Strings aspect).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tyler,

    I love your infographic! It looks super clean and organized. I really like how you highlighted the features that are free and available to anyone using an Apple Product. I know for myself I used to move these apps off to the side of my phone/iPad because I didn't think I needed them, but they can be so awesome once you know how to use them correctly!

    Prior to Meg Wilson's talk, I had never thought about using GarageBand in my speech therapy sessions but since then I have been trying to incorporate it more especially for visual feedback for students. I think it is really cool how that app can be used for so many different purposes other than its original intent. I think that is it really neat that this is something that you use as a music teacher and its awesome that it is so easy for students to access at home as well.

    Like you said, we often take the extra things these apps can do for granted. I really enjoyed Meg Wilson explaining how we can use/re-purpose different apps to help students with special needs.

    Thanks for your great infographic!
    -Mary Kate

    ReplyDelete